1,020 total views
“The world has slowed so you can rediscover yourself.”
Many of us feel ‘bored’ and ‘listless’ being trapped within the same four walls. A section of the working population has started to go to their workplace with the beginning of ‘Unlock 1’ but we students are still stuck at home.
Instead of brooding about how you want things to go back to normal, you might as well make this lockdown productive and do things you’ve never had the time for before because the truth is that this is the “new normal”.
Here are 10 things you can keep yourselves occupied with this Quarantine:
NEVER STOP LEARNING Try out something different: there are innumerable opportunities for learning and exploring.
I learned how to code in Java this quarantine. Try to recollect an instance when you thought, “I wish I could do this…” but your busy schedule prevented you from doing so…
“ Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want.” ~Steve Jobs
Learn How to Play an Instrument
Let the rhythm carry you away! Guitar, drums, or the piano you can try any of them out. Music not only soothes you and reduces your stress; it has several other benefits:
- It increases the capacity of your memory.
- It refines your time management skills.
- It enhances your concentration level.
- It can escalate your performance skills and reduce stage fright.
- It promotes a sense of happiness in your life and that of those around you.
“Music once admitted to the soul becomes a sort of spirit and never dies.”
Find The Artist In You
Art opens the heart and mind to infinite possibilities. Painting, sketching, drawing, and doodling; there are so many ways you can express yourself.
- Art helps you find your center.
- It provides you an opportunity to create something unique out of nothing.
- It enhances your creativity.
- It reduces stress.
“Art is freedom. Being able to bend things most people see as a straight line.”
Learn a New Language
Travel the world while you’re at home. Learn a new language and get to know more about the culture of the place where it originated.
French, German, Spanish, Mandarin there are many undiscovered charters where you will find a minefield to explore.
- Enhances decision-making capability.
- Improves networking and socializing skills.
- Provides better career options.
- Enhances the ability to multi-task.
- Sharpens the mind
“A different language is a different vision of life.” ~Federico Fellini
Learn How to Bake/Cook
Cakes or pies, learning to bake is always going to be tasty. Learning some new recipes is a good way to experiment on your taste buds unless you really don’t know what you’re doing. (The organisation takes no responsibility for any kitchens burnt)
The benefits of baking really are that you can have the residue batter and it’s tasty because you won’t own up that what you made is inedible.
“If there is a whisk there is a way.”
It’s integral that we take care of our body and keep it fit during this period. To feel accomplished, you can set a target time and set goals for every day. Needless to say, yoga is very beneficial for the soul and body.
- It increases flexibility
- Improves energy, respiration, and vitality.
- Enhanced physical agility.
- Helps in maintaining a balanced metabolism.
- Meditation reduces stress and promotes peace.
“Yoga adds years to your life, and life to your years.”
Physical and Mental Care
Take care of yourself with manicure, pedicure, and face masks. It helps you remain neat and tidy. Take care of your mental health as many may feel disturbed staying away from their loved ones.
It is very important that we are both physically and mentally strong during these times.
“Give yourself the same care and attention that you give to others and watch yourself bloom.”
Netflix is a huge arena to explore. Suspense, horror, comedy, or educational there are various types of series or movies that can watch.
Watching Netflix has its benefits as well, even though it might not seem so…
- It increases your general knowledge (wouldn’t it be easier if our syllabus was in the form of a long series?)
- It increases your vocabulary.
- You will learn many life lessons.
- You *will be* entertained!
Reading books has taken us all on adventures while we stare at the same four walls every day. Suspense, fiction, sci-fi, fantasy, horror, or thrillers; all books take us through a journey… As you may already know they have various benefits:
- Leads to vocabulary expansion.
- It strengthens memory.
- It enhances analytical thinking skills.
“Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.”
All of us love seeing aesthetic pictures and sceneries, then why not take them? Even if you don’t have an HDR, you could use any other device such as your phone or tablet. Photography:
- It documents your journey through life.
- It is a wonderful stress reliever.
- It inspires your imagination.
- It is a wonderful, safe, and natural self-esteem booster.
“We take photographs as a return ticket to a moment otherwise gone.”
Create A “Mood Playlist”
Create a playlist for songs with all moods or wit any specific vibe you want to go for. Then, put on your headphones, sit by the window, and enjoy the strength of music healing you.
Music has an extremely positive effect on your mind and body.
- It makes you happier.
- It enhances running performance.
- It lowers stress and improves health.
- It helps you sleep better.
- It reduces depression.
- It strengthens learning and memory.
- It increases verbal intelligence.
“Some days I need the music and some days I need the lyrics.”
Drop your fav to-do checkbox and let’s all try to make this lockdown productive and full of cherishable moments as well.
– Anvesha Saraf –